Course Code: LAT-01
Teaching Method: online (live streaming)
Titles released: 6 CFU / ECTS + Course valid for teachers’ updating, recognized by the MIUR
Hours: Fridays 6:00 – 7:30 pm
Duration: 2021 October, 22 – 2022 May, 27 (28 lessons – 42 hours)
Limited Enrollment: up to 20 participants
Academic Fees: starting from € 299 per semester
Presentation of the course / Calendar / Certifications / To continue the studies / Academic fees
Access to the first year is free and no pre-requisites are requested.
– Understanding of a Latin text, even of high difficulty, without using the dictionary
– In-depth knowledge of the most important structures of Latin syntax and grammar
– Knowledge of the 1600 most frequent words in Latin classical literature
– Ability to write and speak in Latin
Through the reading of texts in Latin, which are designed to encourage language learning, students deal with literary classical Latin morphology, syntax and phraseology.
Lessons will be held completely in Latin: following the fundamentals of the inductive-contextual methodology, the active use of Latin language both by the students and the teacher turns passive learning into an active competence, thus ensuring a sound knowledge of the language. Readings of some original Latin texts complete the course program.
The course will be held via live streaming: the IISC will give students a link to enter the online classroom. Lessons via streaming will be recorded and will stay available for the students to see for a week.
It is of the utmost importance that students have their textbooks since the first day of classes.
1. H. H. Ørberg, Lingua Latina per se illustrata – Pars I: Familia Romana (any edition)
2. H. H. Ørberg, Exercitia Latina (Cap I-XXXV) (any edition)
3. F. Pirrone, Grammatica latina: guida allo studio di Familia Romana, Edizioni Istituto Italiano di Studi Classici
3. Excerpts (provided by the instructor) from textbooks from the 1900s, based on the inductive-contextual method, by the following authors: W.H.D. Rouse, R.B. Appleton, W.H.S. Jones, G. Pasquetti, G.B. Gandino, C.W.E. Peckett, A.R. Munday, U. E. Paoli
4. Excerpts (provided by the instructor) of Latin classics
Recommended readings (the following texts are not required for the exam, but are recommended for those who wish to strengthen their knowledge):
1. A. Traina – G. Bernardi Perini, Propedeutica al latino universitario, Patron
2. G. B. Conte – E. Berti – M. Mariotti, La sintassi del latino, Mondadori Education
3. C. Pavanetto, Elementa linguae et grammaticae Latinae, LAS
4. W. H. S. Jones, Intermediate oral Latin reader, based on Cicero’s De senectute, with extracts from Martial and Horace, Blackie and Son (Download the pdf)
5. G. Cauquil – J. Y. Guillaumin, Lessico essenziale di latino (ed. by F. Piazzi), Cappelli
– Students who have attended at least 75% of class hours may obtain a course completion certificate.
– Those who wish to obtain university certifications (6 CFU/ECTS) should pass the final exam with an evaluation fo at least 18/30. The exam will consist in a written test structured as follows: (a) grammatical competences, (b) comprehension of a written text, (c) writing of a text in Latin.
This certification is issued by both the Italian Institute of Classical Studies (IISC) and the Department of Classic of the Università Pontificia Salesiana (UPS). Because the ECTS issued by the UPS are also acknowledged by the Italian Government, the ECTS may be validated in Italian University (without prejudice to the discretion granted to the universities by the Italian law).
– The course is also recognized by the MIUR – Regional School Office for Lazio as valid for the professional training of teaching staff.
Upon the completion of the course, students who have attended at lest the 75% of class hours, may access the course of Latin Language 2.
|First lesson||2021 October, 22|
|Last lesson||2022 May, 27|
|No class days||2021 December, 24
2021 December, 31
2022 January, 7
2022 April, 15
2022 April, 22
|Exam sessions||2022 June, 16
2022 June, 23
2022 September, 29
The total amount of the course fees is of € 598.
There are two methods of payment:
1) Preferred method
|Registration Fee||€ 200||Upon the inscription/td>|
|Full year tuition fee||€ 398||By October 31|
2) Payment by installments
|Registration Fee||€ 200||Upon the inscription|
|First Semester Tuition Fee||€ 249||By October 31|
|Second Semester Tuition Fees||€ 249||By January 31|
Payment can be made:
The fee includes all the classroom activities (lessons and intensive lessons), administration fees and the use of the facilities available in the learning centre. There are no exam fees.
To get information about our Refund Policy, click here .