Course code: LAT-02
Teaching Method: in presence or online (live streaming)
Titles released: 12 CFU / ECTS + Course valid for teachers’ updating, recognized by the MIUR
Hours: Tuesdays 5:30 – 7:30 pm (+ 1 field-trip)
Duration: 2023 October, 17 – 2024 May, 28 (28 lessons – 56 hours)
Limited Enrollment: up to 20 participants
Academic Fees: starting from € 295 per semester
Presentation of the course / Calendar / Certifications / To continue the studies / Academic fees
The course is the second year of the School of Higher Studies in Latin. A sound and excellent knowledge of Latin Language is required. The course may be attended by:
– those who have attended at least the 75% of the course Latin 1 or Latin 1 Online;
– those who, having sound knowledge of Latin, might be able to pass the exam Latin 1 even without having attended classes.
– Understanding of any Latin text, prose and poems, even of high difficulty, without using the dictionary
– In-depth knowledge of all the Latin grammar and classical literary style
– Knowledge of the 3000 most frequent words in Latin classical literature
– Ability to write and speak in Latin
– Understanding of the basic techniques for teaching a lesson of Latin language through the inductive-contextual methodology.
Students will read the textbook Roma Aeterna and many excerpts of Classical authors, specifically Virgil and Titus Livius.
Lessons will be held completely in Latin: following the fundamentals of the inductive-contextual methodology, the active use of Latin language both by the students and the teacher turns passive learning into an active competence, thus ensuring a sound knowledge of the language.
The course will be held in classroom and online. The IISC will give the students a link to attend the course via live streaming. Lessons in streaming will be recorded and they will stay available for the students to see for a week.
It is of the utmost importance that students have their textbooks since the first day of classes.
1. H. H. Ørberg, Lingua Latina per se illustrata – Pars II: Roma Aeterna (any edition)
2. H. H. Ørberg, Lingua Latina per se illustrata – Enchiridion discipulorum (cap. XXXVI-LVI)(any edition)
3. H. H. Ørberg, Lingua Latina per se illustrata – Exercitia Latina (cap. XXXVI-LVI) (any edition)
4. Excerpts (provided by the instructor) of Latin classics.
Recommended readings (the following texts are not required for the exam, but are recommended for those who wish to strengthen their knowledge):
1. A. Traina – T. Bertotti, Sintassi normativa della lingua latina, Patron
2. U. E. Paoli, Scriver latino. Guida al comporre e tradurre in lingua latina, Principato
3. G. B. Gandino, La sintassi latina illustrata con luoghi di Cicerone tradotti ed annotati per uso di retroversione, Paravia
4. Erasmo da Rotterdam, Colloquia (view the link)
– Students who have attended at least 75% of class hours may obtain a course completion certificate.
– Those who wish to obtain university certifications (12 CFU/ECTS) should pass the final exam with an evaluation fo at least 18/30. The exam will consist in a written test structured as follows: (a) grammatical competences, (b) comprehension of a written text, (c) writing of a text in Latin.
This certification is issued by both the Italian Institute of Classical Studies (IISC) and the Department of Classics of the Università Pontificia Salesiana (UPS). Because the ECTS issued by the UPS are also acknowledged by the Italian Government, the ECTS may be validated in Italian University (without prejudice to the discretion granted to the universities by the Italian law).
– The course is also recognized by the MIUR – Regional School Office for Lazio as valid for the professional training of teaching staff.
Upon the completion of the course, students who have attended at lest the 75% of class hours, may access the course of Latin 3 – Latin Literature.
|First lesson||2023 October, 17|
|Last lesson||2024 May, 28|
|No class days||2023 December, 19
2023 December, 26
2024 January, 2
2024 March, 26
2024 April, 2
|Exam Sessions||2024 June, 12
2024 June, 19
2024 September, 25
The total amount of the course fees is of € 590.
There are two methods of payment:
1) Preferred method
|Registration Fee||€ 200||Upon the inscription|
|Full year tuition fee||€ 390||By October 31|
2) Payment by installments
|Registration Fee||€ 200||Upon the inscription|
|First Semester Tuition Fee||€ 249||By October 31|
|Second Semester Tuition Fees||€ 249||By January 31|
Payment can be made:
The fee includes all the classroom activities (lessons and intensive lessons), administration fees and the use of the facilities available in the learning centre. Only field trip’s costs, however, are not included in the registration fee; we try to keep the costs as low as possible and they may vary according to the destination. There are no exam fees.
To get information about our Refund Policy, click here .